Florida Fall Fire Pit Safety guide.
Fall is in full swing, and it’s getting cooler and cooler at night. Just the time for us floridians to try to get rid of some of that waste piling up in the yard, while giving us a nice fire to warm up to. Before you light your first match, let us guide you through how to do it safely.
- Check Local Regulations: Verify if a permit is required for burning yard waste and adhere to any local ordinances
- Burn Site Selection: Choose a location at least 50 feet away from structures and ensure there are no overhead hazards like tree limbs or utility wires
- Weather Conditions: Do not burn on windy days or when vegetation is dry to reduce the risk of the fire spreading
Safe Burning Practices:
- Using Proper Containers: Burn yard waste in a designated fire pit or a 50-gallon drum to contain the fire
- Supervision: Never leave the fire unattended. Always be present to monitor and control the burn
- Access to Fire Control Tools: Keep a shovel, water, and fire retardant nearby in case you need to extinguish the fire quickly
- Extinguishing the Fire: Ensure that the fire is completely out before leaving the site. Douse with water or smother with dirt to prevent any embers from reigniting
- Hazardous Materials: Never burn plastic, garbage, or construction waste as they can release toxic fumes
- Vegetation: Avoid burning green wood or poison plants; these can create excessive smoke and potentially toxic fumes
Fire Expansion Prevention:
- Clearing the Area: Remove all flammable materials from the vicinity of the burn site to prevent the accidental spread of fire
Remember, responsible burning practices are not just about following the law, but also about respecting the environment and ensuring the safety of the community.
Now, if you have junk and other waste in your yard you need to get rid of, rather than trying to do it yourself, call the professionals, and then the only thing you need to put in that fire pit is a nice log or two to keep you warm and not have to fret all the safety concerns of burning yard waste and trash in your neighborhood. You can read more about our Services, use the form below to book a free consultation