Old Armoire Repurposing Use IdeasOne idea is to convert your Florida room into an office, into a guest room, or into a family room. Then, you can simply refinish the armoire to give it a new lease on life. If you really want to make an impression, consider painting it a pastel color to make it a centerpiece or an accent piece in the room. You’ll need to sand the surface to remove the old finish, then prime and paint it. Another option is to turn a negative into a positive by distressing it. This way, those marks and gouges won’t look out-of-place.
Are we saying au revoir to the armoire? Sleek flat-panel televisions, typically mounted to walls or perched on credenzas, have rendered the bulky but lovely furniture piece superfluous. And when people want to get rid of their television armoires, so price and popular in the 1990s, they aren’t finding many takers at garage sales or consignment stores. But wait. Before unloading a TV armoire on the cheap or, even worse, setting one on the curb destined for the landfill, think about how it can still be used. —New Jersey On-LineIf it is in good condition, there’s no reason you can’t sell it, donate it to a charity, or give it away to a family member, friend, coworker, or neighbor. This is a quick and ideal way to recapture needed space and pare down on the amount of stuff in your home or office. If none of these are attractive options or you just want some more alternatives, here are some more old armoire repurposing use ideas:
- Garden tool and material storage. This is a great use, particularly if the armoire looks worn, outdated, or simply out-of-place. Instead of restoring it by refinishing the furniture piece, you can put it in the garden shed as a tool and material storage. This way, you’ll have all of those tools and materials in one easy to access space.
- Garage hobby tool and material storage. If you have a hobby, you might struggle with scattered tools and materials. Move the armoire into the garage or other area where you work on your hobby. Then, you can customize the inside to accommodate your hobby tools and materials.
- Transformed kitchen or dining room hutch. Another option is to refinish the armoire, paint it, and fit it with glass doors to transform it into a kitchen or dining room hutch. Use it to showcase your best China and other dinnerware and flatware.
- Reinvented entertainment center workstation. Since it is already a storage space, use it as a reinvented entertainment center workstation for a small, one-stop home office. It can be placed out-of-the-way, closed when not in use, and easy to conceal its contents.
- Convert it into a neat bedroom clothing wardrobe. Instead of making into something entirely different, go the easy route by converting the armoire into a neat bedroom clothing wardrobe.